We think that the buildings shown in the picture in this gallery may form part of the original Garlieston Station. This was the terminus of the Millisle to Garlieston branch from the Newton Stewart to Whithorn branch line of the Port Road. This small branch opened in 1878 to both goods and passengers and was closed in 1903. The buildings in the picture are located at the exact grid reference for the original Garlieston Station. If anyone can give further information on the validity of this we would be very happy to hear from you so please contact us through the contact form on the website.
The information we have to date suggests the following:
"Regular passenger services ceased on the Garlieston branch on 1 March 1903. However, Garlieston had a good harbour and it occasionally ran boat excursions to the Isle of Man. These were well patronised, so the railway continued to provide excursion trains to Garlieston until 1935.
Goods services ran from Newton Stewart to Whithorn and to Garlieston until the Whithorn branch closed completely on 5 October 1964. By the 1960s, these services ran three days per week; with conditional working on the Garlieston branch, when required"