Creetown station is a halt on the Dumfries to Stranraer line, inconveniently situated some distance from the village. It closed in 1965 with the closure of the Port Road. The station was the scene of a major incident in February, 1895, when the afternoon train from Stranraer stuck in drifts a few hundred yards west of the platform. It was over twelve hours before the bulk of the passengers could be transferred to the waiting rooms and 24 before they could make their way to the village, where they waited two days before they were able to continue their journey. One of the passengers was so affected by his ordeal that he attempted suicide.
The Station fell into disrepair and was finally rebuilt around 1990, the new owner keeping some of the period features including a brake van and part of the platform, these remain to this day and the property appears to be empty, a "Ticket Office" plaque remains beside the door. Adjacent is the old goods shed which has also been turned into a private dwelling house, pictures of this process at various stages can be seen on this page and a full gallery including some original photographs appears at the bottom of this page
The Station as it is today
The Goods Shed as it is today